Thursday, February 11, 2010

I learned something today....

Sat nam!  Its been a year coming that I wanted to start a blog.  I even got this domain months ago, but it took a 'snowpocalypse' to actually get me to start writing.  But don't you fear, I've been writing posts in my head for months.  If you've ever watched South Park, then you are familiar with Stan, and how he always says "You know guys, I learned something today".  My mother lovingly pointed out this similarity between Stan and myself, to which anyone who knows me can readily attest.  

I used to think that once I committed myself to a spiritual path, or found the right teachings, all my problems would go away and I would be a happy fat laughing Buddha all the time.  Well let's see....Laughing?  Oh, I have my moments.  Fat?  No, but I do like chocolate.....Happy?  I'm learning that this is state of mind we create internally, regardless of our environments.  About me: I'm a yogi by way of Kundalini yoga, and I've found a great solace and spiritual calling in the Sikh faith.  I'm almost 4 years into my Kundalini yoga adventure, and I'm finally understanding that you have to LIVE a spiritual path; finding is great, reading about it is wonderful, but at some point you have to wo/man it up and claim it as your own.  This is know in yogic philosophy as Dharma, a way of righteous living.

For the great majority of us, enlightenment isn't a state that once you experience, you set up camp and live there indefinitely.  For most of us, we are graced with various moments of clarity and peace for varying lengths of time.  We strive to make those experiences more frequent and lasting through our personal spiritual disciplines. With each experience and expansion in our consciousness, we challenge the boundaries of self and our place in the Universe.   When they happen, I find myself naturally constructing a narrative.  This narrative has a two-fold purpose: to make a deep truth experienced in my soul, in my right brain, coherent to my 'everyday self' or left brain personality; and to share this discovery with others.  I find my soul is very childlike---it discovers something beautiful and shiny, and wants to turn to a friend and say "look what I found!".    Its my deepest prayer that we can share our experiences, learn together and support each other on our earthly journeys. 

6 comments:

  1. Joji!! I love your blog! Yes, it is true that we sometimes need a bit of adversity to bring us together and to make us more aware. For myself, I am beginning to recognize the signs once again, and realize that nothing is coincidental. The trick is to figure what what the signs mean and to follow your intuition on the right path. Hopefully, we each get there (at our own pace).
    Life is good... and chocolate wine rocks. Lovee

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'If you can't see God in all, you can't see God in all'

    I don't get it. Do you mean, "If you can't see God in all, you can't see God at all"?

    or

    "If you can't see good in all, you can't see God in all"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mommus-
    you caught my first mistake! I typed it wrong. You got it right "If you can't see God in all, you can't see God at all" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kinda like the second one too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm finally understanding that you have to LIVE a spiritual path; finding is great, reading about it is wonderful, but at some point you have to wo/man it up and claim it as your own. This is know in yogic philosophy as Dharma, a way of righteous living."

    Oh wow! I don't need to say much, but this was my best part of your post!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    Its really inspiring to hear other peoples' perspectives on it all....
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Happiness! I like your name :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. Please contribute with any comments or questions you have below.